ATX Community

Error while writing file

PaulH

I do a few returns on one computer, export them, then import them to another computer. This year when trying the import, I am almost always getting the error message "Error: Error while writing file." and the import fails. If I try the import enough times (often 10-20), eventually it successfully imports the exported file (the same file it refused to import 19 previous times - I only do the export one time), but it is driving me crazy. Anyone else having this problem, or have any idea what is causing it?

Paul

No, but have you de-fraged your hard drive recently? Is your hard drive very full? How many other programs do you have open when you do this? Have you tried rebooting, then doing the import with nothing else open except the tax program? Trying that might give us some clues to your problem.

Thanks KC,

I do seem to have fewer problems after a fresh reboot with nothing else running, but they don't go away completely (2 files imported on the first try, 1 on the second). I have lots of memory (at least 3GB on each machine), free disk space (at least 100GB on each machine). One is running XP Pro, the other 64bit Vista Home Premium. I have the problem importing to both machines, but it seems to happen more when importing to the Vista machine. And many more problems later in the day, even if I close everything except ATX before trying the import. Seems like some sort of memory leak, but I would think other should be experiencing it too in that case.

Paul