ATX Community

Phone service

Mel in Hawaii

What do you think about the MagicJack (www.magicjack.com) product? I have been using it for a month and like the price and the quality is ok. Has anyone else tried it?

For me, I don't use the land line phone service at home, so I just rely on my cell phone, so that means I usually use thousands of minutes (the month before I got my magicjack we used over 4000 minutes on my family plan with about 1300 of them being non tmobile to tmobile). The cost of having a dedicated land line didn't seem easy to justify, but this $40 for a year of service did since we already have cable broadband internet.

Comparing the voice quality of the local cable company's digital phone service, I would say the quality is much better, but occasionally you will hear a blip, especially if I am playing a network game at the same time (might be CPU resource as much as network traffic).

Well, if I had never heard of the person reccomending it, I'd be suspicious. But since it is you, I will look into it. I've never heard of it before. Any other users here?

How did you learn of it, Mike?

Um, I am not Mike... Melvin here..

I heard of it orriginally on a financial blog that I regularly read. I am just afraid it might go the way of sunrocket and all that seemed to die the VOIP death. I like the simplicity of dialing a normal phone and got a minimal handset to go with it so that when we are out we can plug it into the laptop and use it as a phone there. Sure, there are other VOIP solutions that you don't need the phone, but you should see the stares I get when I am talking on the phone at a McDonalds. Cell phones are good, except that I tend to use too many minutes.

M M = Melvin the Surfer Tax Dude?

M M = Mike the Preacher Tax Dude?

You two need to give us a clue as to which one you are. Poor KC can't keep you straight.

But I enjoy reading both of your posts.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Ok, I will change my nick again to make it easier to understand. Sorry that I forgot about Mike having that nick orriginally as I was just switching to my initials rather than my whole name.