ATX Community

NY resident/nonresident question

joanmcq

Client lived in NYC for 45 days while working in NJ before moving to PA (still working same job in NJ). Moved to NY from CA, had same job all this time but at no time actually worked in NY. Do I need to fill out the IT-203-ATT? or is that form only for nonresidents that have worked in NY as well as out of NY? I may be overthinking this one, but the instructions aren't totally clear.

If it were me, I'd just forget about the very brief period of his NYC "stopover" (it would hardly even qualify as a "residency") and not even file in NY. From what you say, no earnings were reported to NY, so why complicate things? Also, (FYI) remember that NJ & PA have an agreement not to tax each others residents, so make sure he wasn't having NJ tax withheld during his period of PA residency. If he was, you'll have to file to get it back.

earnings were reported in NY. Everything is filed and reported as it should be including the CA/NJ overlap (worked in NJ while still a CA resident) worked in NJ while living in NY and worked in NJ while living in PA. I have 4 W-2s for her for one job, as well as another one that is just worked in CA, lived in CA. I just need to know if I have to file the ATT when there was no working in NY at all. She actually made quite a bit of money during the NY 'residency' period.