ATX Community

CPE question

JJStephens

Like a lot of other EAs (& CPAs), I'm always on the lookout for free and/or cheap (er, I mean inexpensive) CPEs. I just got a flyer from The Tax School in Newark CA offering a variety of courses at what appears to be a reasonable fee (however, even 'reasonable fees' are no bargain if the material is lousy). They're offering several 24 CPE hour courses for $89 and will throw in a 2 hour ethics course for an extra $19. Their web site is at www.thetaxschool.com. Surprisingly, the 'testimonials' page on their web site has no entries (could just be a new page). The do have a good return policy (full refund including S&H) within ten days.

My first couple questions are: have any of you heard of this outfit? Have you used their service? Is it any good?

And a second question is: do any of you have other good, reasonably priced sources of CPE?

Thanks, one and all, for your input.

Jerry

Like a lot of other EAs (& CPAs), I'm always on the lookout for free and/or cheap (er, I mean inexpensive) CPEs. I just got a flyer from The Tax School in Newark CA offering a variety of courses at what appears to be a reasonable fee (however, even 'reasonable fees' are no bargain if the material is lousy). They're offering several 24 CPE hour courses for $89 and will throw in a 2 hour ethics course for an extra $19. Their web site is at www.thetaxschool.com. Surprisingly, the 'testimonials' page on their web site has no entries (could just be a new page). The do have a good return policy (full refund including S&H) within ten days.

My first couple questions are: have any of you heard of this outfit? Have you used their service? Is it any good?

And a second question is: do any of you have other good, reasonably priced sources of CPE?

Jerry

Jerry, the school in question is really new. I live few miles away from Newark (probably 10) and this is the first year I get news about them. I have being doing taxes since 1997 in this area and my main material for study has being Thomas Tax Seminar (a little expensive but good material) This year I will try PES (Professional Education Services 1-800-998-5024) or CPED.

Good luck

Lucho

They've been around for quite a while - maybe they've moved recently. I've used them in the past since, like you, I was looking for the least expensive way of meeting the requirements. Their selection is limited to a few selections each year, and the material is relatively basic, but accurate. And it can give you fine points of a subject you don't deal with all the time. They are very easy to deal with and return the exams quickly, especially if you fax them.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

Jerry

The cheapest CPE I've found is CPE Depot. It's like one of those "All you can eat for a dollar" restaurants.