ATX Community

insolvency

Marie

I'm doing a late return ( and one I was dreading, but..) Taxpayer has lots of credit card debt, medical bills (wife had cancer and died). Lots of credit card debt cancelled. He also has teacher retirement. How do I find out his interest in this retirement. I know they pay in, but depending on how it is set up, when you die, your heir only gets what is left of your initial investment. The retirement is a good thing as long as you stay alive. At point of cancellation, what is it worth if he dies the next day? Anyone know how to figure, or do we have to contact the state teacher's retirement group?

Yes, I am working on the insolvency worksheet. He had debt cancelled 5 different times, all pretty close to each other.

I think there is a death benefit on the retirement, though. His wife died later in the year, and he received some from the teacher retirement in her number. Is wife's death benefit an asset since the debt was cancelled before she died? Would his death benefit be an asset to him, too? It could have been simple if they actually had no money, but they did have some money in the bank, but the medical bills got overwhelming.