ATX Community

DONATION OF LAND

Marie

Client donated land to a non profit, worth $8000. Filling out the 8283, never had one so large. I understand appraiser has to sign? Client needs to keep appraisal for his own records in case IRS wants to see? Also non profit has to sign second page? Client wants sister to do appraisal, she is certified with the state, will that fly? Also, after doing return, client has no tax liability, (not plus figures on any line) so no sch a necessary. Does the charitable contribution carry over to 2009 even if taxpayer doesn't file sch A? Or would you send in so to get the carryover? ATX isn't putting total of Sch A deductions on the 1040, just standard deduction, and showing carryover on Sch A. I hate these last minute people, been telling me she had it ready for weeks, but I had to call. I'm going to Arkansas next week for craft fairs, not sitting and waiting for procrastinators. They had an extra 6 months! (sorry, need to vent a little) Anybody have some help for me, experience in doing this? Thanks

Well, if she is a certified appraiser, that might be OK, but given that large a donation, if it were me making the donation I might want to not give the IRS any reason to challenge the donation. But that's just me.

Yes, he has to file to claim the deduction, before he has a deduction to carry over.