ATX Community

NT - SSN requirement for non-profit assistance

jasdlm

I am on several non-profit Boards in my community. Many of the Boards have received correspondence from an agency in town requesting that we do away with our current requirement that recipients of assistance provide a social security number or ITIN number in order to receive assistance. Basically, the issue is not a privacy/security issue, but rather an issue of whether the nonprofit agencies are willing to provide assistance to illegals.

My question: Does anyone know if there is any legal prohibition or any IRS regulation that would specifically address this issue. I am an attorney, but this is not something I have any knowledge about. I have my own opinion, of course, but I have been charged by the Board to bring back any objective information that might help Board members in deciding how to respond to the requesting agency. (i.e. could this in any way jeopardize 501©(3) status, violate the Patriot Act, etc.)

Thanks in advance. I really respect the people on this Board and any insight anyone might be willing to provide.