ATX Community

Change to Form 8283 Input

JohnH

Has anyone noticed the change to the 8283 input? I started an 8283 today and was surprised to find ATX telling me I was overriding an entry when I began entering the name & address of the charity. After following the bunny and scanning the tabs at the bottom of the sheet, I learned that there's a new tab at the bottom -> "Schedule A and B - Other Property", which expects the Part I info to be entered in spreadsheet layout.

It's handy for entering info side-by-side and I guess it will open a new 8283 after 5 entries. Next thing I'd like to see them do is develop a data base similar to the "Payer Manager" which would allow us to choose the charity form a drop-down list and autofill the address info. Maybe that's coming.

After I gave this some more thought, it's actually a departure from the generally-stated preference we ATX users have for direct forms entry. However, when the number of entries exceeds 5, I often find myself jumping back & forth between forms making sure I kept everything straight. I'm not sure it's much of an improvement when the number of charities is 5 or less, but still the columnar layout does have a nice feel to it for some reason. And if this is an initial step toward a data base with an autofill at some point in the future, that wuold be a very useful improvement. Much nicer than the piece of paper I have taped to my monitor with the address of Goodwill, Salvation Army, Kidney Foundation, etc typed on it. Having several of these selectable data bases for various forms is something I missed when I came over to ATX from Ultra Tax (of course, if I went back to Ultra Tax I'd probably miss that extra $4K -$5K I'd be paying for that feature and a few others)

The new tab for Other Property is used to input both page 1 AND page 2 donations. The program will sort them and put them on the correct page. Also note that there's a new tab for vehicle donations. The IRS added to their e-file specs and is collecting more information for vehicles. They require a pseudo-1098C for vehicles and the new worksheet satisfies that requirement for the efiled portion. Also see Form 8453. IRS wants that 1098C record in the efile plus the snail mailed copy.

I tried it . I typed in 7 entries it did not open a new 8283 on the fifth line it said see attached. It did not enter

#5 #6 or #7 and did take the correct total to sched A. I did have two copies of 8283 open as they were needed last year but nothing went on to the second one.