ATX Community

Innocent Spouse

StevenL

A client is filing an innocent spouse relief (form 8857) She is asking me for her ex-husbands social security number to complete the form. I have it since I completed a return for them a couple of years ago but I am extremely relunctant to give it to her since I believe it is a privacy issue. I'd like to hear your opinions on this issue. I would tell her to get it from him but they don't appear to be on speaking terms right now.

Thanks for your input.

Steven L.

That is a tough call. I agree with your reasoning. However, what if she asked you for a copy of past tax return? Could you not provide it since it has his SSN on it? It's their joint return (and she should already have a copy), so I would think she should be entitled to that copy.

Maybe someone else with have a more definitive answer.

That is a tough call. I agree with your reasoning. However, what if she asked you for a copy of past tax return? Could you not provide it since it has his SSN on it? It's their joint return (and she should already have a copy), so I would think she should be entitled to that copy.

Maybe someone else with have a more definitive answer.

Great ideal! I should have thought of it myself. They actually filed separate returns but his ssn is on her return so I told her to just get it off of that. Thanks for your help.