ATX Community

Margaret

Terry D EA

I believe you are correct. If you read through the forms and instructions you will have noted that the details that used to be included on the 1041A are now on the expanded 5227. This and last year have been so much easier. Unfortunately it cannot be efiled but it's still better! And thanks, it has been a great day. The end is in sight!

Thanks Margaret and you are correct, the change does make it easier. I can tell you this much, I am using TRX this year and it does not handle this kind of return very well. All the input comes from the 1041 and the 1041-A. For a split interest trust, I can see why but it is still cumbersome. It was especially fun preparing the K-1. On the other hand, it really makes you use your head and not the software.

You probably recall that ATX required the presence of 1041 in the client file in order to process the 1041A and 5227. So I guess that is the TRX method, as well. It was so aggravating as the letter always referred to the 1041. Tech support couldn't grasp that this is a different animal. Even now I find it annoying that the Type in the left list is "Other" rather than "Fiduciary" and that the Type in the columns is the dreaded "Info Sheet" which means just about anything. But we manage...