ATX Community

CA Preparers help please - Reduction of tax attributes

BulldogTom

Client filed bankruptcy. Has COD income which is excluded under §108. I need to reduce the basis of his remaining assets. Not a problem on the federal side. But on the CA side, he still has some NOL carryover that he does not have on the federal side. There is no equivalent of the 982 for CA that I can find. The software is popping in the NOL in CA and I am sure that is wrong as CA conforms to federal on COD excluded in bankruptcy.

How do I show the reduction of the tax attribute in CA that is not the same as on the Form 982?

Any help appreciated. I don't have any hair left to pull out or I would be doing that right now.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Thanks Jainen. I did not think of that. But the return will need to be paper filed if I do that because e-file will not accept more than 1 form 982. I think I will put the second copy in the file and e-file it without the CA copy. If CA sends a letter, I will call them and ask where they want the difference. If they don't know, I will be happy to suggest a place where they can stick it (on the return - of course).

Tom

Lodi, CA