ATX Community

E-file Attachment

Dave T

This may be a dumb question but I'm having difficulty getting an issue resolved with New York State and I'm trying to figure out what my optioons are.

Filed a 2009 state return for a client that has a son in college. He met the criteria for a Tuition Credit and becxause of that he was due a refund. Return was electronically filed and accepted.

A couple months ago NYS sends him a letter saying he owes close to $ 400.00 which includes interest and penalties beacuse the Tuition credit form was either missing or incomplete ( they don't differentiate ). I go back to the return and review it and everything looks fine so I write a letter to the state saying we disagree wtih the assessment and attach a hard copy of the Tuition Credit.

Client gets another letter today saying essentially the same thing - form is either missing or incomplete and adding on addiional interest.

My qusestion is, is there way to determine whether an attachment of a particular form was included in the original transmission?

If I made an error I'm willing to pay for it but I'd rather not if I can somehow prove that the required information was provided.

Thanks for your input.

Dave T

I have had this happen in the past - - I print up a copy of the form that was supposed to have been transmitted - -mail it back to NYS along with a letter apologizing for any mis -communication that may have occurred - -and it has always been accepted. I never did find out if it was erroneously omitted by me or ATX.

Good luck!