ATX Community

PA 8879 vs 8453

elfling

According to the mailing instructions tab on the PA EF Info, a signed Form PA 8879 is required to be kept with the other documents listed there "if the taxpayer was not present to input their own PIN". So with the exception of my own return, I guess I will be using the 8879 on all of my returns. None of my clients are around when I am preparing their return. It also says to use the 8453 "unless PIN signature option was elected".

OK, I did my part. Now you tell me where to elect the PIN signature option so the 8453 is not checked on electronic filing info form.

Good point. I popped onto MyATX and struck up a "chat" with ATX rep, Ashley.

Due to the newer MeF associated with Efiling, State-Only is the only option available. So the PA-8453 check box will be the only option.

From my end, I am going to continue to have clients sign and I will keep PA-8879 since it is an acceptable form according to state rules.

While chatting with Ashley I was able to get my earlier posted question answered. Although the webinar stated that federal and state refunds will be loaded to the Western Union MoneyCard, this MeF change to state only means PA refunds will arrive by check. That is certainly bothersome. Clients taking advantage of the new card many times will be the ones who do not have a bank account. In our town, no bank account means no free avenue to cash a check. Guess it'll be $3 at WalMart to cash that refund some of which aren't much more than that. Pfft! :wacko:

Although the webinar stated that federal and state refunds will be loaded to the Western Union MoneyCard, this MeF change to state only means PA refunds will arrive by check. That is certainly bothersome. Clients taking advantage of the new card many times will be the ones who do not have a bank account. In our town, no bank account means no free avenue to cash a check. Guess it'll be $3 at WalMart to cash that refund some of which aren't much more than that. Pfft! :wacko:

On the other hand, consider that the MoneyCard has a fee for using it, so I'm guessing that cashing a check will cost most of them less than they would lose to the card fees.

According to the paperwork and the webinar POS use of the money card is totally free. So there would be no cost encountered to get an extra $10 or $20 cash back from a retailer. Taking a $10 PA refund check somewhere to cash and have to pay $3 to cash it seems silly but may the only way to gain that little refund.

I'm sure it will be just one more interesting issue to try to explain.