ATX Community

SPECIAL PIN FOR VICTIMS OF IDENTITY THEFT

Edward

IRS Update says that such victims who have previously contacted the IRS concerning their identity theft will receive a notice (CP01A) which provides t/p with a six-digit identity protection PIN (IP PIN) for use when filing their tax returns. It further states that for electronic returns, the tax software program should contain a prompt asking if the t/p received such a notice from IRS. Anyone know how or if ATX has such an element? Thanks.

I'm glad I saw this! Just had a client call today whose ex-wife 'got a taxpayer ID number so her refund wouldn't get snagged'. Turns out a he's had problems with his credit being mixed at least with another person with the same name, and never got his refund last year. Probably snagged for some debt that isn't his. If we notify the IRS now, can we get a PIN and TIN?

I'm glad I saw this! Just had a client call today whose ex-wife 'got a taxpayer ID number so her refund wouldn't get snagged'. Turns out a he's had problems with his credit being mixed at least with another person with the same name, and never got his refund last year. Probably snagged for some debt that isn't his. If we notify the IRS now, can we get a PIN and TIN?