ATX Community

Ohio Tax return question

jrollo

I'm puzzled by this question. To my knowledge, there is no mandate to efile in Ohio. I just reread the instructions (I may very well have missed something), and see nowhere obvious to me this requirement. If you are sure that there is, what form are you describing that you found on the website? And if you found it there, why not print it out and use it or use the pdf version (I think virtually all OH forms are fill-ins)? After all, if this is a decision not to efile, wouldn't there be a paper form to complete?

Margaret:

"Paid tax preparers who prepare more than 75 Ohio personal income tax returns for the current tax year must ensure that each return is filed department-approved electronic media, unless the tax payer whose return is being filed requests on this form that the return is filed using another department-approved method. To waive tax preparers electronic filing requirement the tax payer must attach the completed and signed IT Waiver to their Ohio form IT 1040 or IT 1040EZ."

I have found the form the Ohio website (Individual Taxpayer Waiver for Preparer's Electronic Filing Requirement).

Thank you,

Jeff

I'm puzzled by this question. To my knowledge, there is no mandate to efile in Ohio. I just reread the instructions (I may very well have missed something), and see nowhere obvious to me this requirement. If you are sure that there is, what form are you describing that you found on the website? And if you found it there, why not print it out and use it or use the pdf version (I think virtually all OH forms are fill-ins)? After all, if this is a decision not to efile, wouldn't there be a paper form to complete?

Thanks, Jeff, for the information which, frankly, I had completely forgotten. Since I efile all returns except those that cannot be due to forms that are not efilable, I guess it didn't stick to my brain. This is also the first year in ages that I was unable to attend a state/local update.

In any event, I did pull up, from the state website the form and saved for potential use. Since it is fillable, couldn't you just complete it and add to the return as it says to do? How many clients refuse to efile? I have a handful that still insist on the paper check to or from the gummint (keeping that bank account secret, you know), but my policy, clearly stated, is that I efile all returns possible.

Thanks again for setting me straight!