ATX Community

Reject Error

Diane

Error Code -- Form 1040/1040A - When any occurrence of Eligibility for Child Tax Credit (SEQ 0178, 0188, 0198, 0208) is significant, the corresponding Relationship (SEQ 0177, 0187, 0197, 0207) must equal either “CHILD”, “SON”, “DAUGHTER”, “GRANDCHILD”, “SISTER”, “BROTHER”, “NIECE”, “NEPHEW”, or “FOSTERCHILD” and Dependent's age must be under 17.

I'm getting this reject error on a return that has efiled in the past with no problems. I have no idea how to fix this.

2 Dependents - one is 18, listed as Son (he does not qualify for Child Tax Credit); the other is 8, listed as Daughter (she would qualify for Child Tax Credit), but they have too much income to qualify for the Child Tax Credit. The Son has education expenses, but the AGI is too high to even get this deduction/credit. I've 'restored' each field and re-input the dependent information and tried again. Still rejected. Next, I'm going to try putting 'Child' in as the relationship. I must be missing something somewhere.

Diane

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm done for the night. Just wasted 1/2 ream of paper printing a tax return that's to be paper filed only to find out the toner cartridge is going empty. Of course, that's on top of trying to figure out this reject problem. Not a good day.

Diane

Deep breath or three, big stretch, maybe some wine.... or whine, your choice.

I hate that toner cartridge thing, too. At least I hope when you shred, you can recycle.

Will be having a cold beer after a hot shower. All that paper did go on the shredding pile. And, we are lucky; we have a good recycling program in our county. I will take another look at this mess tomorrow.

Thanks for listening.

Diane