ATX Community

1065 K-1 Not coming - company GONE

ShawnE

I have a client that invested into a real estate development partnership (I'm in Las Vegas). In prior years, they got the K-1 fine, but this year... The company's property assets have been foreclosed on, the main partners won't answer or return calls, one secretary that the client could reach said that it was closed and there would be no k-1 or tax return. Last years K-1 shows an ending capital account of 17,857.00 and a Qualified Non-Recourse Financing of 70,532.00. His ownership is less than 2%, and they marked both Domestic partner and Limited Partner.

Other than the fact that they HAVE to do a final tax return (good luck with that), what can I do?

And yes they need to see a lawyer - but that don't help get this return out the door.

HELP

Shawn

Thanks rfassett, pretty much figured that was what I needed to do but needed to hear it. Sch D - limit 3000 bummer. Should I mark it as worthless stock? I have ATX - it has that transaction type box on the Sch D input. Or should I just leave that blank - and let the statment explain it.

The explanation is necessary to explain why there is no K-1 info on a return this year when there was no "final" K-1 issued last year. And the explanation is good, if for no other reason, to have with the return in the preparer's file so two or three years from now, if the IRS decides to take a look, the preparer is not scrambling trying to recreate the "story".

I do not know, ShawnE, if it is necessary to have the "worthless stock" item selected. I do not think it matters one way or the other as long as you have the other info correct.