ATX Community

Are Disability Payments Taxable?

Taxgirl

My client received a 1099R from her previous employer and the details are as follows:

Gross Distribution: $8,976

Taxable Amount: Unknown

Employee Contribitions/

Designated Roth cont.

Or Insurance premiums: 2,077.94

Total Employee Contributions: $5,108

How much of this distribtions would be taxable?

Thanks.....six more days till freedom!

Has she received all of the disability payments she is going to receive yet? Or will she get more this year? How much is she entitled to or is it a matter of how long she is disabled that determines how long she receives payments?

It appears from the information above likely that she has a basis in her disability payouts of $5,108. Since she has a basis, the payments may or may not be taxable. Since she got this on a 1099 instead of a W-2, I am inclined to think that the basis is applied to the payments. But without knowing more about her disability insurance plan, I really can't say for sure.

She is permanently disabled so she is going to be getting these payments every year. She told me that she contributed nothing to the plan and contributions were made by her employer (the post office). So....I am inclined to think that it is all taxable. Right?

Thanks and and have a great day!