ATX Community

Alternative Fuels Credit

Kea

Client bought a Chevy Volt in 2011 and qualifies for the $7500 tax credit. They also installed a 240V charger for faster charging time. They qualified for a "free" charger, but had to pay for installation including upgraded brakers & wiring. When looking at the instructions for Form 8911, I can only find a reference to 30% of the "property's cost." But I can't find anything that says whether that includes installation or not. The cost of the installation and upgrades was around $2500. Does this qualify for the credit? Or, since the unit itself was "free" there is no credit?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I do not claim to know the answer definitively, [i.e. no cite] but my assumption would be that installation is part of the cost of any asset that requires installation. In other words, the "cost" is the cost to have the asset in working condition. That is true in any other type asset, so I would treat this the same.

That's the way I was leaning, but (like you) couldn't find any specifics. Just doing some general "googling" I found a blog with Volt owners discussing the credit saying they had no problems with it. But that really doesn't mean a whole lot.