ATX Community

Never married parents, non custodial parent has employer health insurance for child

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I will keep reading, but I was hoping that someone had dealt with this before. I must stink at research terms. I found plenty of examples if one or both of them had marketplace insurance. The parents swap the dependency exemption each year. The father provides the health insurance every year through his employer (not marketplace)  Mom did not have any health insurance for 2015. She is covered now. I computed shared responsibility payment for the mother only, because the daughter is on her father's 1095-C for the entire year. do I have to do anything else to show that the dependent has health insurance? Thanks for any help. This is a freebie and I have spent entirely too much time on it. The mother did file bankruptcy in 2015, but was not aware that she could get an exemption and is not sure that she wants to wait that long for the exemption to come back. 

Thanks for any ideas. I will keep reading the pub.

I just had a similar situation and decided to use the Shared Responsibility worksheet.  I marked the child as covered each month and the parent had coverage just the last two months.  I input the child's (college student) income which increased household income about 50%.  The calculated amount was just $443.

I may have misinterpreted the 1095-C from mother's first 10 months but, like you, spent way too much time on this.  The code was 1F, minimum essential coverage NOT providing minimum value offered to employee (this was for 3 months then she was unemployed, then employed again elsewhere).  If this is incorrect, I will amend for her for free but we are also awaiting details on 1098-T (another gawd awful form).  This showed $4100 billed qualified tuition, scholarship of $2400, loans of $5600  and 'refunds back to you' of $5735.  They have no clue what the 'refund' is about and claim receipt of nothing.  Sigh...

• Like 1