Jump to content
ATX Community
Sign in to follow this  

Section 1341 claim of right doctrine

Recommended Posts

I have a client that had to pay back a pension payment from 2004. They were never issued a corrected 1099. I amended the 2004 return with statement reflecting the situation. IRS responds that since we do not have a corrected Form 1099 we will need to claim this repayment as a Section 1341 request and deduct the payment or tax credit in the year of repayment, not in the year it was received.

Ok - found a few articles on the internt. No problem.

But, how? Gee, I don't see a line item for this one. Does this have to go on a particular form? I don't really find anything. Form 843 doesn't work. Or do I just shove it on a payment line? Do I file a 1045? It seems like I should file a 1040x.

Any advise out there today....or tomorrow...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if it is taken on the A, it goes on Line 28, line 7 of that worksheet. That is for Claim of Right deductions under $3000. If it is over $3000, then Pub 525 page 33, shows you how to calculate it and report it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.