ATX Community

Off-the-wall CTC questions

elfling

New client. TP, spouse, 3 children, oldest is age 17.

Return setting in draft form since Friday after phone conversation that included letting them know that $1000 decrease in refund compared to last year is due to CTC age rules. Calls back today and wants to know ... "How can we get back the missing $1,000?" :scratch_head:

Explained again that this decrease is due to age limits, dependent child must be younger than 17 years old. And whether a child's 17th birthday falls in early January or late December, the CTC is not forthcoming for this child.

Question comes again, rephrased ... "So what do we do to get the $1,000 back?" :dunno:

Even my rather flippant telling her that there is no way to prevent a child from growing up and turning 17 didn't phase her .... "So if I take my stuff somewhere else, will theyget me the $1,000?"

Okay, I give up! :wall:

Pick up your 'stuff' tomorrow and do what you wish. Just get out of my hair, PLEASE!

• Like 3

>>"So what do we do to get the $1,000 back?"<<

You are too harsh. I think the client had a darn good question that deserves a good answer, not just kicking her out. Unfortunately 2011 is done so it's too bad she didn't bring her tax planning question to you earlier. But there's still time to restore the credit for 2012. Just tell her to have another baby!

• Like 2

Nah! No way we're being harsh. We don't want this household as clients.

The CTC was the final straw that broke the camel's back. She sat here with 2 children in tow, no SSNs in hand. Finally got those and then when the refund wasn't "high enough", the husband calls with a third child that suddenly appeared (17-year-old) along with mtg interest and property tax figures.

We have yet to recieve verification of the child's SSN or a 1098 to prove the Sch A items. Suspecting a total line of b*%$! Not worth any more of our time.

Bye-bye problem client before fully a client at all.

Documents away. Work is ours. (complain, complain)

• Like 1