ATX Community

Alabama question?

Eli

Taxpayer worked in Alabama part year. He resides in Texas. His W2 shows $27896 in Alabama income & $1055 in taxes withheld for Alabama. When I enter this info on the AL40NR It shows Alabama income as 37209. How Can I get it to show the correct amount?

Thanks!

Eli

Eli, I haven't used ATX since 2009. I now use TRX. Did you show the AL state code on the W2 form and the TX code on the Texas W2? I know Texas doesn't have an income tax, but if the state code was left off, it might have carried over to Alabama. I made a dummy TR on my 2009 ATX program and it carried over as it should.

Was the TP a resident of Texas at the time he worked in Alabama, or was he a part year resident? If part year, he should file AL40.

If you can't do it any other way, maybe you can file a separate federal return and then file a separate state return. Alabama is not dependent on the federal return in any way. They can be filed separately. I have some clients that have to file a federal return but do not have to file a state return and I have some clients that have to file a state return but do not have to file a federal return.

Hope this helps.