ATX Community

I think I'm done with TRX Pro

John A

Jut too many problems this year.

The Oregon return is simply too primitive. Very little of it carries from the federal return the way it should. It's not a complicated return, so... no excuse, really.

The Portland local forms don't auto-populate correctly, if they autopopulate at all: SSNs end up in the date box, numbers don't total correctly, none of the information carries from the federal return, etc.

I just noticed that the Medicare premiums entered for Spouse on screen SSA are not transferring to Schedule A medical expenses, even though it specifically says that they do!

So... I've lost faith that this program is calculating things correctly. I guess I'll stick with it for the rest of this tax season, but I'm done after that. Time to shell out the money for a real tax preparation program.

- John

Ive had some issues with the program this year, specifically the 1099R (code 4) calcualting on form 8606 when it shouldnt. It was correct last year and I have called TRX several times about the issue and they said RedGear kenw about it and would address it. Its been several weeks but nothing has been done.

As for your issue with Mediare premiums not carrying to Sch A medical exps I am not having that problem. It is carrying properly for me with all returns for both the taxpayer and the spouse. You should call TRX about it. It might be a setting you have checked/notchecked or a confilct with another form.

I too have had it with TRX. Yesterday I found out that TRX doesn't have the Alabama form 40X which is the amended return. You have to go to the forms filler and prepare the return manually.

This is my second year using TRX and I still have a very hard time finding the right places to check on the worksheets. Everytime I come up on something different from what I have had in the past, I have to hunt all over the worksheets for the right box to check. I have wasted a lot of time on this program. Perhaps younger people can understand the logic of the program a lot better than I can.

Next year I am going back to ATX.

As yet unavailable forms that I need:

- DC SUB 30 Unincorporated Business Franchise Tax

- DC D-40B Nonresident Request for Refund

Forms that I need that don't work at all:

- Portland OR Form SC (S-Corp Tax Return)

It's March. All I can say is, really?? It's March.

Can someone with TRX Premium (I have Pro) do me a huge favor and check and see if the DC D-30 and D-40B have been released in your version of the software? I don't have them yet. It's kind of inexcusable to be missing forms at this point in tax season...

John, I also have TRX Pro but I have form D301 D-30 Page 1-2, D303 D-30 page 3, D304 D-30 page 4, and D305 D-30 page 5. I'm not familiar with DC forms but I assume these are the ones you want. I also have a NR - D-40B and when you click on that it shows a D-40B#1. I don't know if these are the ones you need or not.

I owe TRX a big apology for my post above where I said they don't have the Alabama form 40X which I said was the amended form. I found out that Alabama hasn't used the form 40X for amended returns since 2008. Either I haven't filed an amended return since 2008 or I have done it wrong. I'm not sure which. Alabama now has a check box on the form 40 for an amended return. Sure makes me feel dumb.