ATX Community

Attaching Broker STMT To E-file

Terry D EA

I have a client who has numerous barter exchanges both short term and long term. Too many to try to type all on the 8949. I see in the instructions to 8949 that we can attach a broker statement and if we e-file we have to send in a signed 8453 with the statement. Question, has anyone tried to attach a pdf of the statements and send it with the e-file in TRX? I am going to try this but will get a signed copy of the 8453 as well just in case.

I haven't yet. So far I've just been typing since I know that works. I, too, am very interested to know if this is working for others.

Also, can TRX import broker statements to avoid attaching a .pdf. I see the ATX folks doing that.

I did have more clients this year with lots of sales. I've put it on my summer to-do list to learn how to handle in TRX (both methods).

All my returns with numerous transactions are Legacy returns and will not accept a .pdf attachment. I don't know why they are not MeF returns. Last year I mailed copies of the brokerage statements with Form 8453. This form does not need to be signed.

This year I decided to try the import feature in TRX. If you have your columns positioned correctly to match the input sheet, the program will import everything perfectly. I have done three returns with almost 300 transactions each with no problems. I also complete the T/S/J, 1099-B Basis (Provided or Not Provided), and Term columns in the Excel spreadsheet before importing. I could add the adjustment codes to the spreadsheet, but I leave those columns blank and complete them after the import.

I usually copy the return to a "Test" folder to try out the import. The first one I did took several attempts before I got it right. It gets easier after you have done a few.

Same here. I just finshed a new client with almost 20 pages of transactions. And he wasnt too happy when he found out the captial loss carryforward. This single 29 year old had been trading like crazy, approx $1.5 million in sales with almost $500K in losses and $470K of those were wash sales.