ATX Community

Efiling extension with EFW and no 8878

Kea

Client wants to pay extension balance due by direct debit. It took me forever to get TRX to believe I wanted EFW and not send by check (I even had to mark the box for checking even though I'm still waiting on that part.)

Anyway, It is saying I don't need a Form 8878 - I can't even find it in the list. Here's what their instruction letter says:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING 2011 FEDERAL EXTENSION FORM 4868

--.You have elected to file your extension electronically.

--.Your extended return has a balance due of $5,057.00.

--.No signature is required on your extension.

TO PAY BY ELECTRONIC FUNDS WITHDRAWAL

--.The required information has been transmitted electronically.

--.Keep the following statement for your records:

I authorize the U.S. Treasury and its designated Financial Agent to initiate an ACH electronic funds withdrawal (EFW) entry to the financial institution account indicated for payment of my Federal taxes owed, and the financial institution to debit the entry to this account. This authorization is to remain in full force and effect until I notify the U.S. Treasury Financial Agent to terminate the authorization. To revoke a payment, I must contact the U.S. Treasury Financial Agent at 1-888-353-4537 no later than 2 business days prior to the payment (settlement) date. I also authorize the financial institutions involved in the processing of the electronic payment of taxes to receive confidential information necessary to answer inquiries and resolve issues related to the payment.

I'm not sure that statement will substitute for the 8878. Has anyone else done this?

I looked through my files and see I didn't have any EFW last year & no need for 8878. I did 2 in 2009 when I used ATX.

Oh never mind. When I called Tech Support this morning they told me that the 8878 does automatically generate. I said "no, it's not on the list in Review" -- at which point I looked back at my screen and it was there!

I swear it wasn't there last night. It wasn't there before I called. I mean the list only has 6 items on it, how could I have missed it?

I need sleep!

I belive it wasnt there.

The program seems to have issues processing. It may have been included with the return but not showing up in the list. Every so often when the program starts acting weird like that I close out of everything. Run ccleaner a few times to clear out all temp files and such and reboot. Maybe even do the whole process twice and then after its fully rebooted open up the program and it appears to be back to normal. I have a fairly new machine but I have a lot open (three tax programs, excel spread sheets, several browser tabs, email and radio playing so after a few hours of processing many returns things seem to get strange in the 2011 TRX program.

>>I belive it wasnt there.<<

So I'm not as sleep deprived as I thought I was?

I've had some strange quirks, too. I do sometimes reboot the program and / or computer. Advance System Care is always going in the background, but I very seldom force it to do it's full scan. Lazy? Forgetful? Just plain ol' not thinking about it? All of the above?

Good suggestion, though.

Have you had the problem of printing to .pdf in Review & it tells you it can't do it because the application is busy? Then you hit the button again, and poof it works? (Just 2 seconds later - no rebooting required.)

Have you had the problem of printing to .pdf in Review & it tells you it can't do it because the application is busy? Then you hit the button again, and poof it works? (Just 2 seconds later - no rebooting required.)

Nope, havent had that happen, but then again I dont print many full returns to pdf but I have done a few

@Gene - Your situation makes sense. The message is saying it can't print because the application is busy & it really is busy.

Maybe I'll try to give my computer a good thorough "cleaning" this week (or next ... or next month ... whenever!)