ATX Community

Unable to open a return

Lucho

I prepared the return at the end of February and I need to open it now to review some information but it will not open.

The message I get is as follow:

"This return contains later versions of certain forms than those installed on this computer. You must update these forms before you can open the return. Click View Log to view the list of forms you must update".

If I click on "view Log", what pops up is a white little screen completely blank.

The version of the 1040 on the day I prepared the return was 103 and as of today the 1040 current version is 121. If the versions of the forms on the return are different than the version when I prepared the return, how could I fix that?

Has anyone run into this situation?

Thank you for any help.

Lucho

Can you duplicate the return? Then change form 1040 to 1040A, then change it back on the copy file.

ALSO see if the back up file(s) has/have the same issue.

Thank you Pacun.

I duplicated the return and what I got is a new return with all the figures but no clients info at all.

If I change to 1040A the figures change drustically giving a huge amount of tax due an also no clients info at all too.

I will tranfer a back up copy that I made before to another computer tomorrow morning (hope that will be OK). I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you again and good night.

Lucho

Can you transfer the original return to the other computer? I wonder if your computer is the issue.

I dont' think is the computer because that is the only return that I could not open.

Now I can open it but all the forms were updated (1040 version 121 instead of version 103) of course, the return transfered to the other computer is the one I had in the back up copy I prepared before april 15

Anyhow I will start using the other computer next year. After nine year of service, is time to let this oldy take some rest

Thank you again Pacun

Lucho