ATX Community

Stepchild ~ definitive definition?

elfling

Been in business a l-o-n-g time. Never ceases to amaze the scenarios people bring to the table.

Today came a query from a client wanting to know a solid definition of a stepchild. When I asked "why?" she claims for her medical plan at work she has been offered the opportunity to add her fiance's son and daughter as stepchildren to her coverage. I did quiz her on the possibility of this health coverage not taking effect until after they are wed. She says she will check but does not believe that to be the case since the wedding is planned for spring 2014.

Got me to thinking, I never really thought about a true definition. Without them being married, do his children qualify as stepchildren? For just this coverage? Along state lines? (We're in PA.) On a tax return?

Elfling

In some states that allow domestic partners to file MJF (eg. Mass) I believe they can take the other partner's child as a dependent since they are filing jointly. I do have a few gay/lesbian clients but they don't have kids.

For tax........Look at this http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/mod_4_-_tax_tutorial.pdf

For insurance.........She should ask the insurance agent.

Elrod ... yes, we should all already know everything that is in the "mod4" tutorial. However, that module still does not define a "step" anyone be it child, brother, sister, parent, etc. A relationship does not cease upon death or divorce. But does a step relationship exist if a couple has yet to wed?

Taxed ... you bring up a valid point. A domestic partner couple in neighboring NJ that is required to file a PA return cannot be treated as married for that PA return. They must file separately.

Still hoping for a solid definition. ;)

>>she has been offered the opportunity to add her fiance's son and daughter as stepchildren to her coverage<<

Apparently she is not waiting for marriage. If she has shacked up for more than a year, that qualifies as domestic partner (and children) in many states that have changed their insurance laws to allow coverage. This is just for insurance, not all the rights registered domestic partners have. It's pretty common in big corporations and certain industries that offer comprehensive benefits. It can be confusing, but fortunately our tax dollars are helping us find the way--http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2012pres/02/20120207b.html