ATX Community

My Tech Support Experience

Crank

Close to 2 hours with tech support and no resolution to my two problems and im left with about an additional hours of work due to the very nice and extremely frustrated person.

What did I find out. My two problems are known issues.

(This was a rollover 1040)

1.) SchA - Lines 5 a & 5 b (deductible income taxes or sales taxes) was auto checking line 5a and the 2nd check box on 5b and wouldnt le me unchect them. They were grayed out. I wanted to used 5a and it was forcing 5b with a red field on the bottom of the form that would not go away no matter what you put into it.

2.) SchC - Was giving TWO errors of over ridden fields in the area of "Acounting Method". I had cash selected. We were on a screen share (and I should have know better) and the tech decided to DELETE the Sch C which also deleted the 4562. Then tried to add it back. No problem I thought as she didnt save. But when I closed and reopened it was gone. OK I thought Ill restore from backups as I have auto backup turned on. Nope nothing to backup. I notice once before atfter applying an update that the autobackup settings had been deleted. I forgot about it and never checked it again after several updates.

Warning: Check your autobackup settings after each update. Thats assuming autobackup works

So twohours talking and two hours of work to recreate the deleted SchC & 4562.

Amazing.

EDIT: I just started my new SchC and input most of the figures from acopy I had made and the TWO error were no longer present. This was a return that was rolled over from version 4.0.0.01 and I think that the errors were from the rollover that never left. I usually wait to rollover a client return until I am ready to work on it. Thats seem like a very wise idea not that this happened.

BTW all my comments in previous about errors were based on a NEW return and not a rollover.

Well, now that its been a few hours and having thought this through I believe that my post may have come off sounding a bit too harsh. When a chunk of work is lost it can cause frustration and the internet is just to easy to post something before you have had the time to reflect on the issues at hand.

With that said, I believe the SchC data that was lost through the tech support person ( a very nice and frustrated person) deleting it was my fault. I should have made sure I had a backup of my return before allowing control of the screen.

Crank, that is exactly why I want to see the complete proforma data NOT just name, address, ss#. I don't want to go through the frustration that you went through in front of a client. I like to see the data and make sure the carryforwards are there before even starting the 2012 return.

Can you imagine the embaressment when the client point out that their prior data is incorrect. You feel like an idiot! I have NOT been able to even test states so God only knows what surprises may be lurking there.

This this morning Proforma does NOT work. This is NOT a professional tax software that we have come to expect! Rolling over from 2010 to 2011 was just a breeze. I was expecting that and NOW this is sheer frustration!!!

Taxed, I understand your frustration.

However Im in a little bit of a different situation. I dont prepare taxes with the client present, never have. I dont like the pressure and my clients love it. They drop off their taxes and I work on them when I have time (it could be after midnight). Then I speak with the client about all the issues, missing items, etc and complete the forms after we feel confident that we have good numbers. The client then has an appointment, knowing the results and having asked questions prior to sign and pick-up. Works much better for me in instances like this. Gives me more time to research and double check before the meeting and aviods the embarassing situations.

EDIT: You may have to double check the prior year data. I always do anyway.

Some clients just do not want to do taxes the "drop-off" way. They want to watch the process, ask questions as they come up, even chat about other subjects like children and gardens and vacations and stuff. Personally, I would rather do all my returns without the client sitting there, but several of my clients actually came to me because the person they had been going to for years moved out of town and left his business with his son who will only do returns by the drop-off method. So they come to me because I give them the choice.

I do have a couple of things I do, though, to keep the pressure off a bit. I run a slide-show of interesting pictures through a computer monitor on my bookshelf in the line of sight of clients sitting at my desk, and it's so captivating, sometimes they forget to breathe down my neck. Also, I have puzzles on the far edge of my desk for clients to play with, and some of them get quite carried away with solving (or more like "not" solving) them.

And btw, I ALWAYS check any proformaed returns for accuracy before clients come in, unless of course they show up without making an appt.

I agree with Linda. I have a client that switched over to me from another tax preparer (still a friend I may add) because I will do her return in about an hours time at my office with her there. She is the analytical type and likes to question the logic behind each step and how it impacts her return. I think I run through various what ifs. The good thing is she pays me a flat fee plus an hourly rate. Then I have another client who from day 1 dropped of his stuff and expected to be able to pick up his copies when finished. He likes sausage but does not like to watch it being made. So I guess different strokes for different folks!

Oh yes, I do have a nice 42 inch LCD TV in the office that they can watch along with ample reading materials.