ATX Community

PLLC.... Help!!!!

taxguy057

I have a client who just last year started out on her own business and registered it as an Pllc in the state of NC. I've never filed taxes on such before. From what I have gathered from reading on the IRS site, it basically telling me to treat it as a "disregarded enity not separate from its single owner for income tax purposes. So do i just file on a Sch C and be done with it. She has no employees so no employment or excise tax is revelant at this time. Well from what I've read so far...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated for you tax gurus out there! :spaz:

Thanks alot in advance...

TG

I have a client who just last year started out on her own business and registered it as an Pllc in the state of NC. I've never filed taxes on such before. From what I have gathered from reading on the IRS site, it basically telling me to treat it as a "disregarded enity not separate from its single owner for income tax purposes. So do i just file on a Sch C and be done with it. She has no employees so no employment or excise tax is revelant at this time. Well from what I've read so far...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated for you tax gurus out there! :spaz:

Thanks alot in advance...

TG

You should refer him to a tax pro that is experienced in that area. It is a minefield for you if you don't!

>>it basically telling me to treat it as a "disregarded enity not separate from its single owner for purposes<<

That is only the default treatment, but NOT her only tax choice. She is a professional and has a right to competent service from her financial advisors. So get it right or refer her to someone who can.

You need to discuss projected profit and loss, auto and other expenses, fringe benefits, Social Security and income tax rates, and other factors that could make Form 1120 or 1120-S a better choice, maybe even much better. Or maybe not as good. Either way, a page of interview notes can provide you peace of mind.

The fastest way to begin is to download Continuing Education from someplace on the topic of Choice of Business Entity. That would at least show you the basic issues, though hardly qualify you to give reliable advice. I apologize if my tone sounds a bit stark. Even though one judge thinks tax preparers don't need to know what they're talking about.

• Like 2

Appreciate all the input. She has been my client for 8 years now and I'm not going to give her up that easy. We discussed the fact of her starting out on her own with this biz. She basically does contract work for a few med companies but has decided to take on some of the same work she's been doing under her on entity. She now is getting paid by one client with a 1099. Nothing major yet but I will get well educated on the topic for the future bc this does have the potential to be big soon. Thank again..