ATX Community

Michigan State only efile

ajuroff

Sorry to keep posting about this. I've been on with Support now for almost an hour and this guy just doesn't get what I'm trying to do here. He keeps putting me on hold, then asking me the same questions, then on hold...etc.

I'm getting a Federal error when I'm trying to send a State only. (client only has SS which is not taxable on his Federal.) Error says if Federal 1040 total income is zero, you can not efile the Federal. I don't want to efile the Federal....just State.

Does anyone know if we can still e-file a State only Michigan return? I always have in the past. MI E-file Info sheet says we can. Has anyone been able to?

Sorry to keep posting about this. I've been on with Support now for almost an hour and this guy just doesn't get what I'm trying to do here. He keeps putting me on hold, then asking me the same questions, then on hold...etc.

I'm getting a Federal error when I'm trying to send a State only. (client only has SS which is not taxable on his Federal.) Error says if Federal 1040 total income is zero, you can not efile the Federal. I don't want to efile the Federal....just State.

Does anyone know if we can still e-file a State only Michigan return? I always have in the past. MI E-file Info sheet says we can. Has anyone been able to?

You should be able to click the state only radio button. But So far I have not been able to e-file Mich even though all the forms have been approved.

I had the same error pop up a few years back on a WI Homestead (rent relief) return. All the taxpayer was SS and even though I used the state only radio button, the same thing happened. Apparently, even if it is a state only return it does use the federal information as well. It may not have been the absolutely perfect thing to do but all I did was give the client $1.00 of interest income on the 1040 and it went through just fine.

I had the same error pop up a few years back on a WI Homestead (rent relief) return. All the taxpayer was SS and even though I used the state only radio button, the same thing happened. Apparently, even if it is a state only return it does use the federal information as well. It may not have been the absolutely perfect thing to do but all I did was give the client $1.00 of interest income on the 1040 and it went through just fine.

Suport had me email them the return. They couldn't figure it out last night. (after almost 2 hours) He called me back this morning and said that he was getting a different error than I was. (I don't know how that could be) Then I suggested I delete the return and re-do it. He said yes, do that. Then he called back again and said that, even though we could in the past, I couldn't e-file a return with zero AGI on Federal. (even though it was state only)

I decided to try what you said and it worked. It didn't change the credit forms one bit. Probably not the perfect thing to do, but it worked just fine.

Thank you.