ATX Community

Working on Multiple Computers

Colleen in MN

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to use ATX on multiple computers (desktop and laptop). I would like to be able to enter basic data on the laptop and then transfer file to desktop for review, printing, and save final version. Can someone who has done this help with these questions?

1) How to keep both computers updated. What are implications if they are not at the same version?

2) How to transfer file between computers - export/import or backup/restore?

3) Once transferred back to final computer will forms update and preparer information be entered?

4) I would like the initial rollover to occur on computer #1, than transfer to #2 for data entry. When I try this, computer #2 says "cannot find 2006 master files" and cannot open rolled over file. Will I need to install 2006 program or just transfer 2006 client files? Where would I put them since there is no 2006 file directory?

5) Will the 2006 ATX install on a system running Vista?

I've tried to work through these issues with ATX technical support, but they are unable to help. Thanks so much for your help everyone! I wish you the best tax season! :-)

Colleen

1) How to keep both computers updated. What are implications if they are not at the same version?

2) How to transfer file between computers - export/import or backup/restore?

3) Once transferred back to final computer will forms update and preparer information be entered?

4) I would like the initial rollover to occur on computer #1, than transfer to #2 for data entry. When I try this, computer #2 says "cannot find 2006 master files" and cannot open rolled over file. Will I need to install 2006 program or just transfer 2006 client files? Where would I put them since there is no 2006 file directory?

5) Will the 2006 ATX install on a system running Vista?

I used ATX on 2 computers last year with few problems, but they were networked to each other (just our home Linksys router). I can help with at least some of your questions. I haven't tried anything yet this year, so things may have changed. We just got done moving and I've pared my tax client list down to 20 so I'm waaaay behind most of you for this year!

1) You do need to keep both computers' ATX programs updated. At the very least, be sure you've updated ATX on the computer you're opening on before you open a transferred file.

2) I used import/export without any trouble. If your 2 computers aren't directly connected, you could use one of the little 'thumb' drives to transfer.

3) I normally didn't transfer back so won't try to answer this one.

4) I had 2005 ATX on both computers so I don't know if it's a requirement or not. And things could've changed w/ 2006-2007 rollovers. As I said, I used import/export, if that makes any difference.

5) Don't have Vista so I can't help here either.

Cathy

Hi Colleen,

What works for me is the following: ATX program installed on both desk- and laptop -- updated automatically each day I open program, before opening any returns. Desktop *only* used to rollover returns. Return must first be opened on desktop, then can be exported to laptop. (Using Wi-Fi home network these days, but "thumb drive" worked fine in past.) (Also, I keep an "ATX Share" folder on both the desktop & laptop, through which all im/exporting is conducted.)

Once the laptop work is done, I export to the laptop's ATX Share folder. Before transferring to the desktop, I delete the return from the desktop's ATX Share folder *and* Return Manager. Likewise, if re-exporting the same return from the desktop to the laptop, I make sure to delete the return from laptop's ATX Share folder *and* Return Manager.

The only problem I've had is the inability to delete a return once it's been e-filed. (However, if one knows how to enter the program's "Dev Mode," one indeed can delete such returns -- but that is such a proprietary secret that any layperson learning it was threatened with litigation, once CCH had bought ATX.)

Please note: all of the above takes place under Windows XP Pro Edition, not Vista.

Hope I've been clear, TaxCPANY