ATX Community

What to do next year.

mrichman333

I heard next year all software will have to be 100% MeF. It seems all the software that was 100% MeF this year are the ones with are the problems. I switched to onedesk but they are not 100% MeF so I’m worried about using them next year.

So what is everyone’s plans for next year

I know I won't buy early like I did with TRX.

I heard next year all software will have to be 100% MeF. It seems all the software that was 100% MeF this year are the ones with are the problems. I switched to onedesk but they are not 100% MeF so I’m worried about using them next year.

So what is everyone’s plans for next year

I know I won't buy early like I did with TRX.

All tax software was MeF this year.

>>>>>I know I won't buy early like I did with TRX.<<<<<<<

This is my exact feelings. I bought TaxSlayer Pro and have been 95% happy with it. No problems just some missing forms that they claim they are working to include next year. I have a CRUT return on the way which TaxSlayer does not support the 1041-A or the 5227 form. I have asked they add those forms. While this is not a common tax return they do exist. Other than manual paper entry, does anyone know of a pay per return program that would handle this type of return? It would be part of a 1041 package. On another note, I want the discounts but seeing how much it cost me this year, I am willing to forgo them to be sure I will have a good workable product. I want to attend some of the seminars where the tax vendors are there. Anyhone know of any in NC?

This is my exact feelings. I bought TaxSlayer Pro and have been 95% happy with it. No problems just some missing forms that they claim they are working to include next year. I have a CRUT return on the way which TaxSlayer does not support the 1041-A or the 5227 form. I have asked they add those forms. While this is not a common tax return they do exist. Other than manual paper entry, does anyone know of a pay per return program that would handle this type of return? It would be part of a 1041 package. On another note, I want the discounts but seeing how much it cost me this year, I am willing to forgo them to be sure I will have a good workable product. I want to attend some of the seminars where the tax vendors are there. Anyhone know of any in NC?

I'm using onedesk and I did a 1041 with it and it does have 5227. The program is free this year.

I'm staying with Tax Act. I never should have left them. I love the way the program walks you thru things...especially states, because I do lots of states.

The only problem is that it doesn't include the 1040-NR, so I just "service past customers" manually and don't accept new ones unless they are completely tax exempt.

Next year should really be easy for me since I won't have to re-enter all "the vital data".

They give you 30 days to evaluate the program, so I'll probably buy it mid-January. And if it's "a TRX type" nightmare, maybe I'll retire sit on the beach instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure for 2013. TaxWise is an option but not my first choice. It worked fine for the most part and the calcs were good but the program just wasnt user friendly and I estimate i took about 33% - 50% longer to complete a return than when I used TaxWorks.

I'm not sure about that, because I still got a DCN and not a submission id. I read on another thread that it's next year.

Then whoever said it on that thread was wrong. Some software is still generating a DCN, the IRS form still has a space for a DCN, doesn't mean the DCN is actually doing anything. The IRS kept some legacy stuff as a "cold backup" this year, an emergency backup plan. They didn't use it. So everyone filed MEF. I suspect the confusion has to do with "2013 filing season" and some software companies that would like people to believe their problems are due to MEF and not their own failings (wonder who I'm talking about there.) The 2013 filing season is now, it is for filing 2012 tax returns. But if questionable software companies can use the confusion to imply the change isn't til next year - if they can make people believe all the other software companies will have to convert to MEF next year they can make you think other software companies will have the same problems they had.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/e-file-requirements-for-the-2013-Filing-Season

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Kicks-Off-2013-Tax-Season

Guest Taxed

This year there were a few forms that were not MeF. I seem to recall an IRS listing what those forms were so the software automatically directed them to the legacy system. I believe at the IRS e-file site for software developers there is a chart by year and date showing which forms are MeF etc.

Personally I could care less if it is MeF or Legacy! All I care is that when I submit it on time with a time stamp that is what determines timely submission regardless of when the ACK is generated.

Frankly I have NOT changed anything in my office when we were not MeF and now for e-file submission. Once a day I submit in a batch.

This year there were a few forms that were not MeF. I seem to recall an IRS listing what those forms were so the software automatically directed them to the legacy system. I believe at the IRS e-file site for software developers there is a chart by year and date showing which forms are MeF etc.

Personally I could care less if it is MeF or Legacy! All I care is that when I submit it on time with a time stamp that is what determines timely submission regardless of when the ACK is generated.

Frankly I have NOT changed anything in my office when we were not MeF and now for e-file submission. Once a day I submit in a batch.

Here's the accepted forms for e-file for 2012. http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Tax-Year-2012-Accepted-Forms-and-Schedules-for-MeF-Forms

The "contingency supported forms" for legacy are listed at the bottom here (you can tell based on how short the list is, that had the IRS had to use the backup it would have been very interesting...) http://www.irs.gov/uac/e-file-requirements-for-the-2013-Filing-Season

Guest Taxed

Not sure for 2013. TaxWise is an option but not my first choice. It worked fine for the most part and the calcs were good but the program just wasnt user friendly and I estimate i took about 33% - 50% longer to complete a return than when I used TaxWorks.

My sentiments too. We were so used to taxworks and in Taxwise you have to read the screens and hunt down fields and use additional worksheets. I have noticed my efficiency take a 50% dive! Doing EIc was worst.

• 1 month later...

I attended a Drake software seminar today and came away quite impressed. There were 85 people in attendance including user's of Ultratax, Protax, ATX, Tax Works, Tax Wise, LaCerte, etc.

The price for the complete Drake package before 05/31/13 is $1,095 which is not alot for what you get. All modules, all states, payroll, client writeup, document manager, tax organizer, tax planner, CPE, etc.

I am leaning towards purchasing Drake for 2013 as a long term solution, as I have had it with conversions, learning curves, etc.

Mike Dubin CPA