ATX Community

Inheritance?

NancyMO

Taxpayer's husband passed away in 2010. Unknown to her, her late husband owned cattle that he kept on someone else's property. The landowner retained, fed, and cared for the cattle after the husband's death, then sold them in 2012. He then presented the widow with a check for $39,000.00. She wasn't in the business of farming. Would this be inheritance or should she file Schedule F, claiming the FMV of the cattle as cost against the sale?

I didn't think I had to go through the whole history...they were separate until right before he got sick and died. She had no clue what he was doing while they were separated. I just thought maybe someone would know a quick answer. It's April 9th and my head hurts and I'm grumpy.

This could have been a lease situation where the lessee provides for all the care of the cattle (feed, pasture, veterinary expense etc.) and the owner receives a percent of the calf crop. Just like a crop share arrangement which is reported on Form 4835.

If that was the case, you will need to determine how much of the income was for breeding stock vs. calves and allocate between 4835 and 4797, after you have determined the basis.

The only thing certain is you will need to file an extension to allow more time for research.