ATX Community

One desk PROBLEM!!!

mrichman333

I can’t believe I didn’t catch it sooner but I didn’t, now I’m you know what with several customers.

I’m in NJ and have customers that work in NY. Well the NY W2 income did NOT carry to the NJ return, even though I filed a full year NJ return resident return with a NJ address and a NY NON- resident return.

Most of my clients have two wage earners and only one works in NY. I just didn’t look at the numbers closely enough.

ALSO Interest income on U.S. Saving bonds which is NOT taxable by the states carried to the State return.

I thought I found a new software but I’m not so sure now.

WORST PART!!! Two of the returns effected are new customers which I am sure I will not see next year.

I am with you being skeptical with this software. I am using it to create a CRUT return but am watching every step and every number. At this time, I don't feel comfortable using it and probably won't but then again, I will look at it further. Make sure this wasn't a missed input on your part. I not accussing but just saying.

Guest Taxed

Gentlemen, with these inexpensive software you HAVE to be very careful and check every calculation. In 2009 i used TaxAct on a 2 state return and found that it was doubling the state wages and messing it up again by incorrectly calculating the taxes paid to non resident state deduction on the resident return.

My 2 cents, stick with name brand software that have wider circulation and usage with pros.

Guest Taxed

ALSO Interest income on U.S. Saving bonds which is NOT taxable by the states carried to the State return.

This is a adjustment item with most software. You have to somewhere in the software minus the Box 3 figure for state income tax purpose. For example in Taxwise you have to put a - under state amount and the amount otherwise it will be treated like taxable interest for state purpose.

I REALLY miss the old Taxworks. It had a nice grid and Box 3 interest was excluded in the state return.

Did you enter the breakdown of their state income on the W-2's correctly?

Muni interest just like savings bond interest almost always require adjustments. I've never had a software where muni interest flowed to the state return because in reality, not all muni interest is state exempt.

This is a adjustment item with most software. You have to somewhere in the software minus the Box 3 figure for state income tax purpose. For example in Taxwise you have to put a - under state amount and the amount otherwise it will be treated like taxable interest for state purpose.

I REALLY miss the old Taxworks. It had a nice grid and Box 3 interest was excluded in the state return.

That is just nuts, box 3 is for US Savings bonds which is not taxable by states why the heck should we have to add information .

I think I figured out the state problem... I think I have to manually add the amount to the state on the W2 so it will carry. You have to do that with the 1099R. I should have caught it.

I don't remember if I had to do this with TRX or not, after I turned 50 my memory is shot.

The program is not that bad once you know al these little things to do.

The manual like TRX's manual is very basic. Before calling tech I went to the manual but it was no help

I am with you being skeptical with this software. I am using it to create a CRUT return but am watching every step and every number. At this time, I don't feel comfortable using it and probably won't but then again, I will look at it further. Make sure this wasn't a missed input on your part. I not accussing but just saying.

I will not purchase a software till December. The preview is usually the last years program. This got me in trouble with Tax Works, though it was February 2013 when I downloaded the demo, and we all know 2011 and 2012 programs were nothing alike.

I made the mistake of thinking it had to be the same or why would they give a demo that is not at all like the program you would buy. WHY because they knew their 2012 program was crap. It's cost me about $1,200 then I had to dispute the charge et to get my money back.

What really made me mad was that I told the salesman I was switching from TRX and that TRX had changed the program and I know Tax Works was just like TRX and so I downloaded their demo and it was in fact like the program I had used in the past. I WAS NOT TOLD THEIR PRGRAM CHANGED ALSO, he just took my $1,200.

SO much for expensive well established software provider. You can't go by that, look at TRX and ATX ..... At least one desk is workable

It's on my list of suggestions but IMO, things like the muni bond interest and savings bond interest need to be flagged when you review the return to make sure it is reviewed by me on the state return. When you hit COMPLETE and it does a full check-up, it should suggest I review those things if data is entered in the fields. I may enter data 3 days out of the week as it enters my office on a single return - I can't always remember that stuff 3 days later to review.

Taxworks always had a nice checklist of things to review on issues like that and I need that help.

If they make estimated tax payments - be sure and manually include it on the schedule A.

The reason I wouldn't use a reseller again is that they can't change the software as easily as working with the producer. TRX supposedly manipulated the software code (I'm doubtful but they said they did), no way this OneDesk is rewriting the software.

Guest Taxed

The 2011 Redgear Taxworks product did the non resident and resident state tax allocation correctly without any adjustments in my case. Also the grid to input different types of interest income was great.

Even with Taxwise you have to make adjustments for tax exempt interest and run another worksheet for 2 state allocations.

I really miss that Redgear product.

The suggestion to use a checklist is good, but it does add another complexity if you have to manually adjust a lot of stuff.

I'm not that trusting with tax software. Every year, the developers have to jump through hoops to put in the last minute changes that those idiots in Washington pass at the last minute. The last two years, the idiots have been taking longer and the IRS wasn't ready for returns until much later. Add to that, they have to support all of the states (and counties and cities) that have income tax). To that, there's the yearly form changes and other new laws. I develop applications, so I know the work involved, I don't think I'd ever try to handle coding tax software.

Last year, I noticed a very serious booboo on a previous year's return. I have no idea why a warning message wasn't issued, nor why the IRS would accept the return The statutory employee indicator was accidently clicked for a self employed taxpayer who DID NOT have a W2. The result was Schedule SE wasn't created and taxpayer didn't pay any SE tax. Now I go through each return by myself plus with the client before efiling.

The suggestion to use a checklist is good, but it does add another complexity if you have to manually adjust a lot of stuff.

You have to manually adjust muni interest. It is unavoidable unless you want the software to magically determine if the interest was paid by an in-state municipality versus an out of state municipality. Redgear required these manual adjustments. It's impossible to avoid it because the information isn't on the 1099.

OLTPRO will allocate income on multi-state returns without adjustments if the information is outlined on the w-2 you enter the W-2 correctly. If it isn't on the W-2, I'd like to know how the software is going to learn about it without making adjustments.

So I fixed three returns, could have been worse. I am just very tired this time of year.

NJ taxes ALL income no matter where you earn it NY or the moon they don't care, unless it is specifically excluded from tax. They do give a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions but you can still owe tax. So in other programs I have used the income always carried.

My mistake

You have to manually adjust muni interest. It is unavoidable unless you want the software to magically determine if the interest was paid by an in-state municipality versus an out of state municipality. Redgear required these manual adjustments. It's impossible to avoid it because the information isn't on the 1099.

OLTPRO will allocate income on multi-state returns without adjustments if the information is outlined on the w-2 you enter the W-2 correctly. If it isn't on the W-2, I'd like to know how the software is going to learn about it without making adjustments.

OLTPRO and One Desk I think are the same company Because if I go to OLTPRO and log in here https://www.oltpro.com/main/pro/OLTPRO_Login.php

It takes me to the One Desk web site. That seems strage for the company to direct me to the resealer.

I have found a problem with OneDesk and will call tomorrow to find out what they will do about it. Page three of the 5227 form contains alot of questions regarding the trust activities. There are three maybe four questions with did the trust do bla bla bl in 2011? These questions are a year off and if this affects the IRS accepting this return, then I have wasted alot of time and will not use this stuff again. These type of returns are so sensitive to errors that generate large penalties.

Guest Taxed

So I fixed three returns, could have been worse. I am just very tired this time of year.

NJ taxes ALL income no matter where you earn it NY or the moon they don't care, unless it is specifically excluded from tax. They do give a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions but you can still owe tax. So in other programs I have used the income always carried.

My mistake

OLTPRO and One Desk I think are the same company Because if I go to OLTPRO and log in here https://www.oltpro.com/main/pro/OLTPRO_Login.php

It takes me to the One Desk web site. That seems strage for the company to direct me to the resealer.

Most states tax global income for residents and then allow a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions. HOWEVER the credit may not be 100% of taxes paid to other jurisdiction. In my state the credit is no more than the tax that would have been calculated on the non resident income using resident rules. So if the non resident states are a bit higher on their tax rates the taxpayer eats the excess.

In Taxworks this calculation was done automatically for my state and i did not have to check it. it was correct 100% of the time. But in other software you have to run a worksheet or make adjustments to figure out the correct deductible amount.

Thanks for the info. Terry and let me know how it works out

I have found a problem with OneDesk and will call tomorrow to find out what they will do about it. Page three of the 5227 form contains alot of questions regarding the trust activities. There are three maybe four questions with did the trust do bla bla bl in 2011? These questions are a year off and if this affects the IRS accepting this return, then I have wasted alot of time and will not use this stuff again. These type of returns are so sensitive to errors that generate large penalties.