ATX Community

REIT reporting?

joanmcq

Found out one of my clients investments is in an REIT. The 1099 from the broker has nondividend distributions, but no other income reported. My first thought was that I'm missing a K-1, but initial research indicates REITs should report on a 1099. This is a consolidated statement from Ameriprise. Before I ask the client to research a K1, can anyone shed some light on this so I don't look like a dumbass if there isn't one?

I have a couple of REIT investors (and my wife) and the tax information is always 1099's from the broker.. Of course the minute I type this I will be wrong. The REIT info seems to come from the brokers' 1099, but you might check out the REIT website that lists all the REITs reporting for 2012. I have yet to see a K-1 for a REIT>

http://www.reit.com/DataAndResearch/1099/Browse-Tax-Forms.aspx?Year=2012

• Like 1

Cool, thanks for the quick response. This is my first one, and finding public info was a pain. I finally pulled out of a 367 page prospectus that there were no distributions that were not considered return of capital. And no I didn't read the whole thing, but found the area where such info MIGHT be reported in the table of contents, so I only had about 10 pages to decipher!