ATX Community

IRS Forums 2013

Jack from Ohio

Excerpted from my screed to the IRS, March 21, 2013 -- 17 days after it announced its 2013 schedule of IRS Tax Forums:

"This year, only Atlanta, Grapevine (Dallas), National Harbor (Wash., DC), New Orleans, Orlando, and San Diego have been offered. Why does the Service continue to shun Boston, St. Paul, Denver, Seattle, Portland (Maine or Oregon), San Francisco – i.e., most every major city in the northern half of the country? (I.e, the Service NEVER has offered its Forums in those cities -- in 30-something years!)

Please note, too: every IRS Annual Tax Forum in NYC (and Chicago), heretofore, has *sold out,* weeks in advance. There is no way the Service could claim it is heeding or even being fair to its stakeholders in the North.

Finally, it is hypocritical of the Service to claim it is "going green," when it schedules all its summer forums in the hottest parts of the country. What is "green" about maximizing the need for air-conditioning?"

Good on you colleagues in this forum who find it convenient & economical to attend this year's annual IRS Tax Forums. Just, I envy your having to negotiate only the finer logistics of the Forums you will be attending -- while all of us above the Mason-Dixon line have hundreds of miles' travel to deal with -- too.

Too whingeingly yours, TaxCPANY

Guest Taxed

For those of us who are regular attendees at these forums, you can see that it is the same stuff each year. Same vendors and presenters. Hopefully next year they will have more venues in the NE part of the country. I will say that the hotel costs in NYC or Boston are much higher than the mid west or south, perhaps that is a factor??

Last year had Chicago and New York. If you waited too long to register, that is not the fault of the planners. The information is out at least 2-3 months ahead of deadlines. This year, none are close to me, so I have to travel. I learn as much from the other professionals that are attending as I do from the forums.

That being said, I am registered for Atlanta this year. I have a room reserved at the Mariott and would share expenses if another man wants to attend. Splitting cost would make it more affordable. Send me a PM and we can talk about logistics. I will be arriving on Monday afternoon and will leave Thursday afternoon.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this up again....

I am registered for Atlanta this year. I have a room reserved at the Mariott and would share expenses if another man wants to attend. Splitting cost would make it more affordable. Send me a PM and we can talk about logistics. I will be arriving on Monday morning August 19, and will leave Thursday afternoon August 22.

• 2 weeks later...