ATX Community

never had this error before

ajuroff

Return keeps getting rejected when efiling (after checking everything AND actually deleting the return and doing a complete redo) - I keep getting the following error:

1040US10 Record Layout (then upside down question mark) The record layout is invalid. Then goes on to list 5 different things -

1. Dollar amount fields cannot contain alpha characters.

2. Dollar amount fields must contain whole dollars. (no cents)

3. When a field is defined as 'N (positive only)' the field cannot be blank and must contain an amount that is greater than or equal to zero.

4. Date fields must be formatted as follows: (then lists how to put a date in)

5. The taxpayer's daytime phone number cannot be blank and cannot consist exclusively of zeros.

These errors are not so that you can click on them and they will take you to the part of the return that has an error.

I have double checked EVERYTHING (as well as deleting and redoing the return all over again)

Has anyone had a problem like this yet? I'm at a loss and dread calling support and being on hold forever. (Cause we all have all

the time in the world to wait on hold, right?)

ajuroff.... I had an error earlier that had similar language. I don't remember the exact error message. What I finally figured out was the problem is this: I had typed a figure in a wrong field on the return. (I belive in the W2 entry screen). When I went back to delete the info that was entered in the wrong box, the field was highlighted and I hit the space bar. This deleted the info, but there was actually a "space" in that field and that is not an allowed character. When I went back to the field and hit "delete", it sovled the problem.

Hope this makes sense and takes care of your problem.

If not, just have s'more frikken bananas!!

Thanks Ray.I just decided to redo the return AGAIN. (I checked out everything but couldn't find anything) This time I DIDN'T roll over from last year. Maybe it was there and rolled over and I'm just not finding it. I resent it thru...we'll see if that works. If not....I'll take those s'more frikken bananas...with a drink on the side!

Thanks Ray.I just decided to redo the return AGAIN. (I checked out everything but couldn't find anything) This time I DIDN'T roll over from last year. Maybe it was there and rolled over and I'm just not finding it. I resent it thru...we'll see if that works. If not....I'll take those s'more frikken bananas...with a drink on the side!

ajuorff, If the return still rejects, see the post I made today (2/5/08) entitled Rejected returns....follow the steps thru "MyATX" online and you will find out the form, sequence # and reject code....in other words, you know exactly what spot on the return you are dealing with. Good luck, Cathy.

Darn it! I wish I would have read your response first! I ended up deleting the return AGAIN, then NOT rolling it over from last year and completing the return AGAIN. This time it went through. It must have had to do with something that rolled over from last year??? (although I efiled the return last year) I don't know but it's now accepted. Thanks for your tip though!!! That could come in handy!