ATX Community

Self-Study Course.

Lucho

I would appreciate if someone inform me on where my friend can get a self-study course to get the license or certification to become a tax practitioner . Because of regular employment it would be difficult to take those courses with HRB or other organization that would teach the classes. I took a self-study one 10 years ago but now I can not find any company like the one I bought the material from.

Thank for any help.

I forgot to mention that we live in CA.

>>we live in CA<<

I strongly recommend you find or make time for the H&R Block classroom course. Their emphasis on how the data flows onto the forms, rather than general theory, is priceless. There are any number of self-study courses for the Enrolled Agent exam. Basically they all just give you several recent actual exams with various levels of commentary. You can download the same material for free from the IRS (without the commentary).

If you are not an EA, CPA, or attorney, California requires you to register with CTEC. They do not permit self-study as such, but have approved some "interactive" courses.

http://ctec.org/qeinteractive.asp

>>we live in CA<<

I strongly recommend you find or make time for the H&R Block classroom course. Their emphasis on how the data flows onto the forms, rather than general theory, is priceless. There are any number of self-study courses for the Enrolled Agent exam. Basically they all just give you several recent actual exams with various levels of commentary. You can download the same material for free from the IRS (without the commentary).

If you are not an EA, CPA, or attorney, California requires you to register with CTEC. They do not permit self-study as such, but have approved some "interactive" courses.

http://ctec.org/qeinteractive.asp

Thank you Jainen. Have a good day.

Look around at several HRB locations. They have night courses and Saturday courses and maybe even Sunday courses. It's now broken down into shorter sections or Building Blocks. Go to HRBlock.com in the late spring or summer or even fall and look for Income Tax Course, then it'll ask you for your zip code and how far you're willing to travel. Good luck.