ATX Community

Rental Expense

Terry D EA

Nope, that was outlawed way back in 1981 by the change to ACRS. You can no longer use component depreciation like that--when a structural component of a building is removed, it is not treated as a disposition until the entire building is disposed of. There is no adjustment to basis, no gain/loss, no recovery of cost allocated to the removed component. The building as a whole continues on the same depreciation schedule, even though a new schedule is started for the replacement component.

I went to a Tax Update seminar last Monday and the New Capitalization and Repair Regs change this effective Jan 1, 2014.

Also a partial disposition election can be made back as far as years beginning on or after Jan 1, 2012 via amendment or accounting method change (Prop Reg 1.168(i)-(d)(2)(ii) and (Prop Reg 1.168(i)-8(d)(2)(iv) See IRS Notice 2012-73

I not going try to spell out all the changes but this is going to affect everyone with depreciable tangible property.

Any change to comply with new regulations will generally be a change in accounting method to be recognized prospectively.