ATX Community

System Error 8829 when creating Fed E-file

Janitor Bob

When I attempted to create Fed e-file, I received the following error:

System error encountered creating e-file for Fed 1040. Please update form 8829 and recreate Form 1040. If this error continues, contact customer support.

System Error: 8829 $L$143

System Error: 8829 $L$147

I discarded 8829 and then re-added it (all forms are updated), then recreated the 1040.....same error when creating Fed e-file.

I discarded Form 8829 completely (using safe-harbor method so 8829 was blank anyways) and was able to create Fed e-file.

Am I doing something wrong?

If using safe harbor method, is 8829 needed?

The only way anything appears on the 8829 is if I do NOT have the "safe harbor" box checked. So in this case it appears I can solve the problem by simply discarding the 8829. It seems that the system does not like the 8829 being in the return (even if it is blank) when using safe method.....but that seems very odd.....as ATX does not seem to have an issue with other blank forms being in returns.

I want to see if I get the same error if 8829 is in the return and safe method is NOT being used. I think I will duplicate the return and investigate.