ATX Community

Not sure if this Window 8.1, ATX or Brother drivers

Tax Newbie

Hi,

I posted the below at the ATX Online Community, but no one seems to have the same problem that I have. I'm hoping that some expert here can help me with this issue.

"I recently converted to Windows 8.1 (new computer) and am having issues with printing tax forms.

The printer is a Brother MFC-8220.

The issue I am having is I am getting strange fonts (anyone who has gotten this before knows what I am talking about) on some of the boxed items on the 1040 (ie the Presidential Election Campaign Message and the bold headings asking for number of dependents on the left hand side of the Exemptions section). Additionally, I am getting the same fonts in various places throughout the body of the 1040 and on the 1040 ES mailing form where is shows the taxpayer address and address to mail the form to.

I have updated all my drivers on the Brother printer and have all fonts that I am aware of in ATX as follows:

ATX_A Regular
ATX_B Regular
ATX_Logo Regular
ATX_N
ATX_S Regular

Please let me know what I may be missing.

Thanks"

Thanks,

Try uninstalling your Brother MFC-8220 software and re-install plus go to the Brother website to update your drivers. They have your 8.1 update for 32 & 64 bit. That should straighten it out. If it don't contact APX about a windows 8.1 compatibility check (ask if the software is compatible with Windows 8.1).

ATX has posted that ATX13 is not recommended to be used on WIN 8 of any release. This has been announced since November last year. WIN 8 is not a real operating system for anything but touchscreen devices.

Note: Developers for WIN 9 are returning back to the traditional style of interface. WIN 8 and VISTA both FAIL!!!

• Like 1

I'm having no issues with Win 8.1 and brother MFC-490CW, HL-5250DN & HL-2270DW printers. As was previously stated, go to the Brother support site and install the latest Win 8.1 driver for your printer. You shouldn't have to use that high of a resolution.

Jack,

I'm not sure what was posted by ATX that you are referring to but the 2013 ATX System requirements list Win 8 (and above) as recommended for stand alone installs.

Also, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8. If you work in desktop mode it is very similar to Windows 7. The "Start" screen is for Apps and obviously was meant to function in a tablet environment but you don't ever have to go to that screen or use the Apps if you don't want to. Desktop mode is fine and Win 8 (desktop) is an improvement on Win 7.

ATX_2013_System_Requirements.pdf

• Like 1