ATX Community

Help with form 8615

ILLMAS

TP child had capital gains over 5K from sale of stock, I prepared a tax return for the child with Sch D and form 8615, I entered all the stock sales to match 1099-B and on form 8615 I entered the parents taxable income and tax, so the child has some tax due. Now what is the next step, do I need to include the additional tax on the parents tax return? Have the parents send the child tax return with their signature and a check? I am lost here, first time doing one so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MAS

Can't put the tax on the parents return. That only works for interest, dividends, and capital gain distributions - not stock sales. So child will need to file return.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000220709

Responsibility of parent. If a dependent child must file an income tax return but cannot file due to age or any other reason, a parent, guardian, or other legally responsible person must file it for the child. If the child cannot sign the return, the parent or guardian must sign the child's name followed by the words “By (your signature), parent for minor child.

• Like 1