ATX Community

Hello Massachusetts practitioners, I need help.

Lucho

I have a Form MA 1099-HC and need to know what the number in box 2 stands for.

Is it an ID number for the insurance or that insurance federal employer ID.

I practice in California and have a return where the husband worked part of the year in MA. And wife in CA.

In order to continue with this return, I have to tell MA. That wife had her insurance in CA.

I asked the wife to verified the FID# from KAISER (her medical insurance provider) but they said they do not have that number or don't know what that number might be.

Thank you in advance.

Lucho

Hi Lucho --

Get used to the 1099-HC; you'll be seeing it used across the country as people are forced to prove to the feds that they have purchased a commodity.

Box 2 is the EIN of the insurance company. Mass Schedule HC requires -- for EACH person, -- insurance company name, EIN, and individual's subscriber number. Those items are Box 1, Box, 2, and Box 5. Watch out for families, though -- subscriber numbers for families are sometimes all alike, and sometimes DIFFERENT. Plus,. sometimes the person on "spouse" is the primary subscriber; do NOT assume the "taxpayer" is the subscriber. Watch Box 3, as well. Subscriber number for other persons covered on the plan are on lines a., b., etc.

You will need info from parents for young adults over age 18 who are still covered on mom & dad's plan.

I have EIN's for EVERY insurance company authorized to sell insurance in MA if you need one for a young adult. The ins. co. name and subscriber number are on the insurance card, but not the EIN.

There is also a checkbox for "did not receive Form 1099-HC" that might get you around the EIN requirement.

Also be aware that those covered by Medicare, Medicaid, Tri-Care, Mass Health, & Commonwealth Care just need check boxes. "Neighborhood Health Plan" is a Commonwealth Care plan and gets the checkbox.

In the immortal words of Zippy the Pinhead, "Are we having fun yet?"

• Like 2

Hi Lucho --

Get used to the 1099-HC; you'll be seeing it used across the country as people are forced to prove to the feds that they have purchased a commodity.

Box 2 is the EIN of the insurance company. Mass Schedule HC requires -- for EACH person, -- insurance company name, EIN, and individual's subscriber number. Those items are Box 1, Box, 2, and Box 5. Watch out for families, though -- subscriber numbers for families are sometimes all alike, and sometimes DIFFERENT. Plus,. sometimes the person on "spouse" is the primary subscriber; do NOT assume the "taxpayer" is the subscriber. Watch Box 3, as well. Subscriber number for other persons covered on the plan are on lines a., b., etc.

You will need info from parents for young adults over age 18 who are still covered on mom & dad's plan.

I have EIN's for EVERY insurance company authorized to sell insurance in MA if you need one for a young adult. The ins. co. name and subscriber number are on the insurance card, but not the EIN.

There is also a checkbox for "did not receive Form 1099-HC" that might get you around the EIN requirement.

Also be aware that those covered by Medicare, Medicaid, Tri-Care, Mass Health, & Commonwealth Care just need check boxes. "Neighborhood Health Plan" is a Commonwealth Care plan and gets the checkbox.

In the immortal words of Zippy the Pinhead, "Are we having fun yet?"

Thank you Katherine.

Now I know what information I need from Kaiser Permanente.

I wish you good luck and profit for your next two busiest weeks of the year.

Lucho

• Like 1