ATX Community

CA 592 - Tom? Joan? Anyone?

jasdlm

Client has a rental in CA inside an LLC. Property Management Company withheld tax and submitted to CA using 592-B. I have completed CA 568, and the tax withheld is flowing through the K1 to each partner ($800 LLC Fee was paid by separate check). The way I read the instructions, the LLC needs to file 592. Is this correct? If so, i have to file for 2012, also (client 568 not done correctly - amended and need to pass-through withholding for that year, also).

1) The instructions say 'Nonresident Withholding Annual Return', but the 592 wants me to choose a quarterly due date. Instructions say it was due 31 Jan, but form choice is 15 Jan.

2) I can't make sense of the form. It says 'total withholding amount due', but nothing is due. I'm trying to get money passed through to the partners.

3) On the 'Total Income' on the Schedule of Payees, do I use gross income, or the net (which is negative) from the K1?

Please help!

Thanks.

The following is from the Instructions to Form 592. The bullet is why I think I have to file the 592, but I can't figure out how to complete it in a method that makes sense for a pass-through.
A Purpose
Use Form 592 to report the total withholding
under California Revenue and Taxation Code
(R&TC) Sections 18662 and 18664. Use
Form 592-V to remit withholding payments
relating to Form 592. The amount of resident
and nonresident withholding tax to be withheld
shall be computed by applying a rate of 7% or
such lesser amount as authorized in writing by
the FTB. Get Form 589, Nonresident Reduced
Withholding Request, for more information.
Important:
• Form 592 is also used by pass-through
entities to flow through withholding credit to
their pass-through owners.

I just figured it out. Report on line 5. Sheesh . . . I'm not very bright :(. Says right on it "Enter amount withheld by another entity and being distributed". I was holding for the FTB when this light bulb came on. I can't believe I've been sitting on this for days when it's right on the front of the form.

• Like 1