ATX Community

HSA Contibutions/Distributions

Terry D EA

This is an area that I should be well versed in but haven't done too many in the past. Here is the situation: Client spouse has funds deposited to an HSA by her employer. These amounts are not deductible and I am well aware of that. However the worksheet that I am using pulls information from the W-2 form because of the "W" code. There is a line on the worksheet that asks for the total contributions for the year. A couple of lines down has the employer deposits of 500.00. The client experienced 450 in medical expenses. The program is showing a total deduction of 450.00. Is this correct? She did not personally contribute to this HSA and my thinking is that this is incorrect due to the entry of 500.00 showing twice. Help please.

Are you putting the $450 in the top part of the form or in the bottom part? It sounds like it's been entered on the line for additional contributions. The top part is for the contributions to the plan. The bottom part is for the distributions. Make sure you offset the distributions with the actual qualified medical expenses so that it doesn't show up as taxable income.

I'm not on my work computer, so I don't have line numbers.

Hope that helps.