ATX Community

Tax Preparer Licensing

redux

From NATP

Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) introduced S. 1219, The Taxpayer Protection and Assistance Act of 2007, late last week. That bill includes a provision that would require paid tax preparers to pass a competency exam and maintain continuing education. The provisions of the bill are very similar to those contained in S. 832 during the last Congress.

http://www.natptax.com/s1219.pdf

I agree interesting reading. This is exactly why I am taking the EA exams. The taxpayer advocate in the Greensboro, NC office told me "you might as well take the exams and get it overwith", which leads me to believe that licensing tax preparers will become law soon. I also have a neighbor who is an IRS agent that has advised me to do the same. So, bone-up on the tax laws.

Has anyone taken any of the computer based exams through Thompson-Prometric? I am taking the individual exam tomorrow and was wondering. Any one interested should visit the IRS site for EA's to see the new rules, testing criteria, and scoring. As I read the FAQ's it appears we will be taking the test based on 2006 tax rules. I am still brushing-up on 2005 as well.

Terry D.