ATX Community

Next year is gonna be different

JJStephens

This was a weird year. I had an unusually heavy early surge and then got really worried as things slowed to a trickle. Then around March 25 they started showing up. About 40% of my regulars showed up on/after April 1! For the second year in a row (and third out of the last four) I'm going to have a record number of extensions.

Next year I thinking about implementing an across the board $25 fee hike and then offer a $25 early bird discount for anyone who gets me all their stuff by March 25. I don't really want the extra money--just trying incentivize getting the materials earlier. I realize for some folks $25 is not a lot of money but in my niche, it's a prety good chunk of change.

Does anyone else do that? How has it worked out? Any other ideas to accomplish the same thing?

On another matter, I need someone to feel really really sorry for me. My home/office is in the middle of seven major egg farms. In spite of the horrendous winter, flies have been especially bad this year. As if it wasn't bad enough dealing with the joys of April 14, I have two of these demonic little critters flying around my office annoying me to death! I'd kill 'em if I could . . . but they've eluded me so far! (Argggh--just missed one of the little beasties!)

• Like 3

I've had a weird year as well. A lot like yours actually. Really busy beginning and then a period of time spent scratching my head wondering where everyone was, followed by "Holy cow, where did all these people come from!" I've gotten a new call as late as today! I try to do as few extensions as possible. I know it stretches the income out a little longer but I am so over it after April 15th. I still have non-profit returns due in May and a few fiscal year filers in June and that's quite enough. That being said, I will have more extensions this year than ever before as well. I think I will be instituting a fee increase across the board next year and I'm already implementing an extra fee for those who saw fit to wait so late this year. They can complain if they want but I don't really care.

Sorry about the flies. They are so pesky! I don't know who said that a brutal cold winter helped decrease the insect population for the next season, but they totally made it up! The wasps are starting to buzz around here and we killed a snake in the yard last Thursday!

• Like 2

Yes, JJStephens, you situation (not the flies) sounds like what I've dealt with. I would see around 40% of my clients after 4/15. Too much stress. So at the start of last season I implemented a 50% increase for all info I receive between 4/1 - 4/15 unless it goes on extension and also 10/1 - 10/15. I'm still getting some info in April, but nowhere near as bad as it was. This year my big crunch time was the middle 2 weeks in March. But, that still worked better for me. If I'm going to run 2 weeks behind, I'd rather do it when there is still a month remaining than when there is only 2 days remaining.

Like you, I didn't do it for the increased revenue, but to try to train my clients. It also means that for the ones I'm getting in April, I can generally get them done before the 15th. But the extension keeps from having that extra pressure to complete by a random magic date.

Go for it!

(Yahoo! Just got one of the little buggers! One down, one to go! See OP)

Thanks for the feedback.

My first thought was to implement a late arrival surcharge . . . but I was afraid it might come across as punitive. I guess that's what it really is intended to be but I feared it that might just deter some folks from coming in at all. I was thinking the across the board increase with a early-bird discount would be more palatable. But maybe I'm just being paranoid/wishy-washy. What think ye?

• Like 1

My first thought was to implement a late arrival surcharge . . . but I was afraid it might come across as punitive. I guess that's what it really is intended to be but I feared it that might just deter some folks from coming in at all. I was thinking the across the board increase with a early-bird discount would be more palatable. But maybe I'm just being paranoid/wishy-washy. What think ye?

I think it's a great idea, which is why I did it several years ago. It did help. Both in the ones who stopped procrastinating and in the one's who paid me extra for the crunch they caused;.

I too am thinking about the same thing. I have filed more extensions this year than ever. Number of clients increased but like the rest I had my slow periods but not for long. Still have three coming tomorrow afternoon and I really hope that is it. The three that are coming are easy returns, well atleast they were last year and we all know how that goes. With all the impending changes with the AHC for next year and among other things, I think we will be busier yet. All the confusion will lead folks to go to a competent pro despite all the negative ads.

I had one last night untill10PM and another coming this afternoon. I have more extensions this year than ever before. Part of it is my fault and bad year. Part of it is late comers. If they had come earlier Patty could have done them. I love you Patty and Tom.

I sure hope next year goes smoother.

BTW my mom has moved back to her apt. and doing pretty good.

• Like 2