ATX Community

W2 never received

GeorgeM

That same guy...his name is Someone calls me and says the same darn thing. I check my records and I sent it to the last address I had in the employee records. He says his ex-roommate, girlfriend, mother-in-law, or mom must have got it and could I send him another one since it's not his fault he never updated his address on our records. I tell him to print out another one will cost him $25; (not really, but I would like to.) lbb aka "The voice of experience."

It's great because then I have something to DO during tax season besides post on this board.

So as to reply with all seriousness and not be considerated a frivolous poster, the company CAN charge a transaction fee for reprocessing a W2 if the employee did not update his address with the company. If he is a current client and worth your time, YOU can call the company and ask them to fax or scan you the information. If he isn't a client let him deal with it.

Someone just calle me and said they worked for an outfit and never received a W2. Tjhey indicated that they called the business and was told it would cost $25.00 to get another one. They asked where it was mailed to and the company refused to tell them.

Can a company do this?

George M,

I suggest that you tell that client to wait until February 15 and then have them call IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and tell IRS they've not yet gotten their W-2. The IRS representative will ask some questions about that employer and IRS will then contact that employer and get them a free copy of that form. Tell the client not to mention the cost involved nor the fact that the client had already contacted the employer. You might also have the client call the employer one more time telling them they are going to do this on the 15th. Many times that will get action from the company since most employers want no contact from IRS.

Wayne

And, of course, if all else fails, beginning Feb 15, you can use a substitute W2, using information from his last pay stub of the year.

George M,

I suggest that you tell that client to wait until February 15 and then have them call IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and tell IRS they've not yet gotten their W-2. The IRS representative will ask some questions about that employer and IRS will then contact that employer and get them a free copy of that form. Tell the client not to mention the cost involved nor the fact that the client had already contacted the employer. You might also have the client call the employer one more time telling them they are going to do this on the 15th. Many times that will get action from the company since most employers want no contact from IRS.

Wayne