ATX Community

UPS Retail Stores Data Breach

Lee B

Some customers of The UPS Store may have had their credit and debit card information exposed by a computer virus found on systems at 51 stores.

A spokeswoman for UPS says the information includes card numbers, postal and email addresses from about 100,000 transactions between Jan. 20 and Aug. 11.

United Parcel Service Inc. said Wednesday that it was among U.S. retailers who got a government bulletin about the malware on July 31.

The malware is not identified by current anti-virus software.

UPS spokeswoman Chelsea Lee says the company is not aware of any fraud related to the attack.

Atlanta-based UPS says it hired a security firm that found the virus in systems at stores in 24 states, about 1 percent of the company's 4,470 franchised locations.

Best defense for identity theft is NOT Lifelock.  You do know that the President of Lifelock was victim of identity theft?  They also paid a $12 Million fine for illegal actions.

Best defense is to log on to all three credit bureaus and "freeze" your credit.  Cost ranges from $0 - $10 per bureau, depending upon the state you live in.  With credit frozen, no one can open an account using your SS#.  The bureaus will report "frozen" when an inquiry is made.

If you then need to apply for credit, the bureaus issue you a password.  You call the Bureau that the business uses, and in 30 seconds, your credit can be "thawed" to allow you to do whatever you need to.  Once you are finished, then "re-freeze" your credit.  This is the foolproof method for preventing anyone from opening accounts or making purchases in your name.

• Like 6

Jack, the UPS breach did not involve SS numbers (UPS stores would have no reason to collect them).  Stolen data included customer names, addresses, phone numbers, and for some debit/credit card info and email addresses.  The worst that can happen is that you'll get an email from me saying I lost my wallet in Lebanon and need a quick loan to get home.  I'm not planning any overseas trips, so if you get such an email just delete it.

I would be alarmed if I had used a debit card at a UPS store.  Thieves can empty your account before you know you were a victim of a breach.  Anywhere it is best to use cash or a real credit card (Visa, Mastercard) where you can dispute any unauthorized charges.  I personally am using much more cash these days and trying to use the debit card only at the bank ATM (where everything is on camera).  I confess, though, that it's so much easier to use debit when you dash into Target or the grocery store and have no idea how much you'll spend so don't have the cash on you.  I hate to use an actual credit card in these places because I dislike putting everyday expenses on credit.  I guess I'll have to break that habit, because real credit cards have much more protection.  Sure, if there are fraudulent debit card transactions the bank will eventually reimburse your account, but you lose access to your cash until that happens.

<<< I confess, though, that it's so much easier to use debit when you dash into Target or the grocery store and have no idea how much you'll spend so don't have the cash on you.  I hate to use an actual credit card in these places because I dislike putting everyday expenses on credit.  I guess I'll have to break that habit, because real credit cards have much more protection.  Sure, if there are fraudulent debit card transactions the bank will eventually reimburse your account, but you lose access to your cash until that happens.>>>

I had the same feelings until I began to research the credit card issue.  I found out that one of my cards will give me 3% back on gas, 2% on groceries and 1% on all other purchases.  I have begun to charge all my annual and semi-annual bills where there is not fee for doing so.  This would be things like insurances, medical premiums/costs, telephone etc.  I also will do gas.  I do still pay cash for groceries.  Last year I received back over $500 and over $400 the year before (my first year doing this) for those items that I normally would have anyway. I do admit that I have had to be cautious to make sure that I am not actually spending more than I normally would. Not a bad return for something I would be spending money on anyway.

My business card operates in much the same fashion and I also receive money back on that.